Saturday, August 23, 2008

NVC Diversity Retreat

Hey Everyone,



I just attended the NVC Diversity Retreat In New York. Not only did I have a wonderful time being in Community, which consisted of around fifty people, all practicing NVC, with a topic of Diversity to explore. I was amazed at the safe place the five trainers were able to create. It was a space where we could talk about the segregation and opression that still goes on in our society, and hearts, and knew we would be held and cared for instead of looked at in distaine or with mistrust. I found myself in awe at the openess and lifting feeling that maintined the entire week. I learend so much about how we are seen, as humans in this culture which is so full and rich with color and ethnicity. Things I knew, but did notrealize I held, and yet I was able to have compassion for myself, and others to the point where I could be honest and know I was just human. Oh yeah and to put the cherry on top, my daughter also attended!!!



For me it was about awareness, I am a white female, and was hoping for awareness and understanding about how I am seen and what can be stimulating that awkward uneasy feeling I sometimes feel when I am the only person of "whiteness" in a room of diverse colors. I found the retreat truly opened my eyes. I learned about the systems that are presently in place, and reached an awareness that change is needed. I came to beleive the changes start within ourselves around bluring the lines of separation, and being willing to look at what is it in ourselves that caused this to happen. I do not know how to make the changes our world needs to heal, I have an idea, of what I beleive will be a valuable transition, and some connections, that may foster the changes, and hope to assist in this long awaited transition. Change starts from within, awareness is key.

I realize I am wanting more awarenss about the systems, which are are in place in just about every format of our lives. Education, Social, workplace, personally, also with our government, and so much more. I had a realization about my personal system. I came to realize, why I was scared in a room of diverse colors. My family spoke these things around me about black poeple and Spanish people, and Irish people. I realized even though I said I was not prejudice, I still held these things in my being. Once I saw that, I felt it melt away, and now I can have compassion for myself, and connection to other races. Man does that feel great, so much bigger. Life has been expanded. I beleive awareness is key, and with that being said, it is my desire to learn more about as many of the systems I can. I am hoping to see how I, we can inititate a change!!!! Blog me up and let's talk!!!

No comments: